Wednesday, August 07, 2002

CIRQUE DU SOLEIL'S QUIDAM



As a professional circus guy, I'm not a huge fan of Cirque du Soleil. Not that I don't think their productions are breath-taking (they are), their performers extraordinary (they are the best) or their sets imaginative (they are!). It's just that for me, when I watch Cirque du Soleil I say to myself "Wow, this is unbelievable what they are doing! I didn't know that humans could do that!" And the circus that I love is when you are watching the show and you say to yourself "Y'know, if I worked really hard, I could do that!"

I love the human and frail aspect of the circus, the cotton candy guys and the family that operates the ticket tent, the performer who first appears as "The Ninja Knife Thrower" then later as the Trapeze artist, and then still later as the Lion tamer. To me, that's the best part.

You won't see that at Cirque du Soleil. You will see some of the finest, slickest, and most spectacular entertainment money can buy. The sets are beautiful, the performers exquisite, and the price is expensive. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. I'll also see it. But my heart is in the less polished and more human circus.



Cirque du Soleil is at Suffolk Downs, just a couple of miles north of Logan Airport, through Sept. 8. Performances are Tues.-Sat. at 8 p.m., with 4 p.m. matinees Thurs.-Sat. Shows on Sunday are at and 5 p.m. Tickets range from $45 to $65, with discounts from seniors, students and children. Call (800) 678-5440.

No comments: