Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Jonathan Richman and Burlesque!


Don't mean to push Lupo's again, but I was there last night, and it was a load of fun!


Last night I went to see Jonathan Richman at The Met Cafe-- along with a group of burlesque dancers from Boston called "Through The Keyhole"





The burlesque show was a lot of fun-- there were three dancers -- Miss Firecracker, Scarlett Fever, and Tallulah Skylight, and they each did two numbers. Before each number a Masked Devil character would silently introduce the dancer with a placard sign

My favorite act was a "Prissy girl into Wonderwoman" act, complete with Red White and Blue knee high boots. I also really liked an audience participation piece where an audience member would roll the dice, and the dancer would take off that piece of clothing.

Other numbers included a Turning Japanese number, a race car number (complete with twirling scented pine tree/air fresheners!) and a very funny number about breasts with a million bras and a sign that says "Will Work For Augmentation" It was the first time I've seen the Keyholes, but it won't be the last.

The only thing I can complain about was the lighting. Jonathan had done his sound check previously, and his microphones occupied the center stage where the light was. As a result, often the dancing was done outside of the light. It would be ideal if they could move the microphones, and have the full stage for dancing. (Or at least in the light!)



After the dancing, Jonathan came out and played for about 1.5 hours. He was charming as usual, and played quite a few songs I'd never heard. Jonathan appears with just himself, his acoustic guitar, and a drummer. There were probably about 120 people at the concert, and there were some quiet moments where you could hear a pin drop as people listened to Jonathan play something sweet.


I realized during the show that I've seen Jonathan about 9 times over the last 20 years. That's a long career of playing guitar in bars! Doing a little web research, I discovered that Jonathan has 20 albums! No wonder I didn't recognize some of the songs!



Jonathan and the Keyhole Girls are playing tonight as well at the Met Cafe (which is next to Lupo's), and I highly recommend going to see the show!


Tickets are $12 and are available at the door. Call 401-861-2142 or see their website

No comments: